Special thanks to David Rios Salon and Spa in Georgetown (Washington DC) for granting us access to their premises.
Click below to see more images from this shoot and credits.
These pictures were taken as Hurricane Sandy was pounding on the East Coast. Rescheduling was not an option, so we made sure everyone was safe. A big thanks goes to the management of The Varsity Apartments in Baltimore, MD, where this shoot took place.
Click below to see more pictures from this shoot and credits.
Click the link to see more pictures from the shoot and credits.
I recently wanted to create a Flash gallery for a client containing almost 1,000 images when I realized that the deault Lightroom Flash Gallery caps out at a maximum of 500 images. Most of those issues in Lightroom are fairly easy to fix, so I went looking for the file containing the code for the image limit.
First you have to find the file default_flash.lrwebengine, so follow the steps below:
Applications -> Adobe Lightroom 3 -> right-click and select “Show Package Contents”
A new folder called “Contents” will show up:
Contents -> PlugIns -> Web.lrmodule ->Â right-click and select “Show Package Contents”
A new folder called “Contents” will show up:
Contents -> Resources -> galleries
In that last folder you find the default_flash.lrwebengine file. Copy that file into the following Lightroom library folder:
Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Galleries
Go to that folder and right-click theÂ default_flash.lrwebengine file.
In the folder that opens up you will see a file called galleryinfo.lrweb, which you can open with any basic text editor, so go ahead and open that file and find the entry that reads “maximumGallerySize“. By default, the maximum gallery size is set at 500, but you can increase it to any level you like.
I only tested this on Lightroom 3, but this fix should work on all versions of Lightroom.
This is the post for my second test with the D800 and while the first one was outdoors (see here), the second one was shot in studio using a grey background. I kept the lighting simple and non-distractive, a Profoto D1 1000 (click here) with a Mola Demi (click here) and of course my already dear Nikon D800 (click here) with the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G (click here).
Since a few people have been complaining that it takes them a while to get the D800 to work, I put that to the test. The objective was to get two headshots out of a 15 minute session (including lighting adjustments and not using an assistant). That’s about the time you get when you do headshots of corporate executives. My personal best was 80 headshots in four hours including setup and tear down using one assistant.
The pictures have some minimal retouching done, such as cropping, spotting, contrast adjustment and black-and-white conversion.
I just got my Nikon D800 (click here) and what a better way to test it than in a real life shoot. I was booked for a model portfolio and I decided to see what the D800 is capable of. I know it would be a step up, but instead of a step, it was a leap. The autofocus isÂ extremelyÂ accurate and really fast. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that in very contrasty scenes (with the focus directly on the contrast), it tends to jump for a fraction of a second. I have shot with dozens of different cameras over the yearsÂ includingÂ Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Hasselblad and this one is my new go to camera. The dynamic range is astounding; we had 108 degrees Fahrenheit when I took those pictures, the sun was high up and the camera was able to capture shadows and highlights without losing detail in any. The resolution does not leave much to desire either.
This picture was taken in direct sunlight using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (click here). I used the D version of this lens, since I do not think the G version warrants double the price. I wish I had a folding ladder with me to get more height and a better angle, but I had to make do with a small chair:
Currently I’m so busy with projects that I hardly get to post on this blog anymore, so I decided to do a quick retouch of a beautiful Indian girl I photographed last weekend.
Here are some pictures from my recent shoot with the fabulous Beth C. Make-Up was done by Michelle Heffner, who is also a professional body- and face painter. The pictures were taken in a conference room.
To see more pictures from this shoot, click the following link… Read the rest of this entry »
After the comparison of specs (click here to see it), it’s now time to look at the sample images both Canon and Nikon provide for the D800 and the 5D Mark III. In order to be fair, I picked pictures that were taken with equal lenses (24-70 f/2.8) and shot at ISO 100.
I chose this picture from Canon:
And this one from Nikon:
At first I thought I might be unfair to Nikon, since the picture looked so dull in the preview, but a closer look reveals some staggering differences: